db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Mikael Sundberg" <Mikael.Sundb...@artificial-solutions.com>
Subject store old seldom used data?
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:20:22 GMT
Hi, i have a pretty big (20gig+)database that grows pretty fast. This
makes it pretty slow in some of the bigger columns.

So we have been thinking about creating a storage DB with the data
that's hardly used (data is mostly used the first week of its presence.
After that it hardly gets used again. But it happens so cant delete it).

So the plan was to copy the data from one database to another slower
database server with less expensive disk space and so on. But the more I
work on it the stupider it feels. Al the foreign keys and regenerated
keys and so on must be dealt with somehow.

We are pretty bad at rebuilding indexes and stuff so maybe if we just
got around to do that more often maybe we wouldn't need the storage DB?
Or is there a good way to do this? I am pretty sure im not the first one
with this problem...

And also, we have had some problem with compressing tables that they
don't seem to get the same generated keys anymore. And screws up al the
foreign keys and so on. Is there a solution for this?

/Micke