db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ibatis & derby problem
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:22:31 GMT
> Kathey,
>
> How can you always know the type of an Object? Ibatis supports also
> jdbc<-->java.util.Map mapping. How do you want to know for example if a
> value is not available in the Map which java type to use to set NULL?
>
> ps.setNull(1,java.sql.Types.VARCHAR);
>
> It might be a weakness of the JDBC specification (what I don't know) but
> our application runs for years with mysql-4.x, mysql-5, Postgress,
> Oracle-9 and Oracle-10. These are well known stable and good databases.
>
> Ibatis is very popular API and I'm suprised that derby doesn't well
> support this very useful and easy to use API.

It could be turned the other way around: "I'm surprised that Ibatis
does not adhere to the JDBC standard".

I think (and more with me) that what Derby does as in accordance with
the JDBC specification (I think it was thoroughly discussed on the
derby-dev list a year or two ago), and that MySQL,PostgreSQL and
Oracle has implemented something which might be interpreted as an
extension of the JDBC standard or just plain wrong.

A tool like Ibatis should *not* utilize non-standard extensions
because that might cause portability problems, like you just
experienced.

--
Bernt Marius Johnsen, Staff Engineer
Database Technology Group, Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway