db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Amir Michail" <amich...@gmail.com>
Subject Relational database scalability
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:07:34 GMT
Hi,

I've been using Derby db but will very likely move my development to
the Google app engine to save money and create scalable code.

Unfortunately, the Google app engine does not support schemas because
apparently they would slow things down too much.

Is this a general problem with relational databases?  They have
problems scaling efficiently?  Any insight into why?

Also, what's wrong with checking database integrity occasionally with
respect to a schema?  Wouldn't that give you the best of both worlds?

Any chance that a Derby db layer could be added on top of the Google
app engine to provide schema checking on demand?

Amir

--
http://chatbotgame.com
http://numbrosia.com