db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Henderson, Roy" <roy.hender...@eu.weatherford.com>
Subject RE: How to store values that might be given in different measurement units?
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:10:15 GMT
My approach for this particular situation would always be to store the
value in a known unit. If varying presentation units were required for
the interface, then I would convert transparently. Thus, I would
probably store weight in either g or kg and convert between imperial if
required.

Roy

________________________________

From: Stanley Styszynski [mailto:diabeteo@gmail.com]
Sent: 15 October 2008 11:59
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: How to store values that might be given in different
measurement units?

Hi All,

I would appreciate any thoughts on the following topic:

How to store values that might be given in different measurement units?

For example weight. It can be in pounds or kilograms.

Basically, I am writing an application in which user can enter some
values (weight, height and some medical measurements)

in different units and I want to store this in Derby database. I don't
know if it would be better to store these values in one unit

and convert it if needed or to create separate columns for each possible
unit and retrieve them using special query?

Maybe there is some other way of doing this?

Regards

Stan

===============================
CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected from
disclosure.
This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein. If you are not the
intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify
the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. The sender totally disclaims,
and will not
accept, any responsibility or liability for the unauthorized use, or the consequences of any
unauthorized use,
of this communication or message.