db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Donald McLean" <dmclea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to store values that might be given in different measurement units?
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:15:28 GMT
I don't think that separate columns for each type of unit would be a
good choice. I agree with Roy that the most straightforward approach
would be to just convert to a standard unit. Where I work this is what
most people (including me) do.

However, if you want an alternate approach, you could store the value
in one column and the units in another.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Stanley Styszynski <diabeteo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I would appreciate any thoughts on the following topic:
> How to store values that might be given in different measurement units?
> For example weight. It can be in pounds or kilograms.
> Basically, I am writing an application in which user can enter some values
> (weight, height and some medical measurements)
> in different units and I want to store this in Derby database. I don't know
> if it would be better to store these values in one unit
> and convert it if needed or to create separate columns for each possible
> unit and retrieve them using special query?
> Maybe there is some other way of doing this?
Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.