db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: derby backwards compatibility
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:51:37 GMT
Amir Michail wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where can I find information on backwards compatibility?  For example,
> is version 10.4.2.0 compatible with applications compiled with
> 10.3.1.4?  Can I just use the new libraries without recompiling apps?
>
> Amir

Hi Amir,

The short answer to your question is that you should not need to
recompile your apps just to run with a later version of Derby. However,
you will want to understand if intervening bug fixes have changed the
behavior of your queries. You might consider those changes to be
incompatibilities and you might need to adjust your application accordingly.

Incompatibilities, if any, are described in the "Issues" sections of the
release notes which accompany Derby distributions. Unfortunately, this
material is not consolidated in one document so you will need to read
the Issues sections for all releases along the upgrade trajectory from
10.3.1.4 to 10.4.2.0. You can reconstruct that trajectory by working
backward from the release notes of your target release, in this case
10.4.2.0.

So, for instance, the 10.4.2.0 release notes say that they describe a
delta from 10.4.1.3. The 10.4.1.3 release notes describe a delta from
10.3.2.1. The 10.3.2.1 release notes describe a delta from your source
release, 10.3.1.4. So to understand whether there are any
incompatibilities, you need to read the Issues sections of the 10.4.2.0,
10.4.1.3, and 10.3.2.1 release notes.

The 10.4.2.0 release notes are located here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.4.2.0.cgi

The 10.4.1.3 release notes are located here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.4.1.3.html

The 10.3.2.1 download (and its release notes) were removed from the
Derby website because that distribution contains a data corruption bug.
However, you can get the 10.3.2.1 release notes from the tag
accompanying that distribution:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/tags/10.3.2.1/RELEASE-NOTES.html

Hope this helps,
-Rick