db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How to accept NULL when having double-quote as char-delimiter ?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:51:12 GMT
Hi James,

One solution would be to write a table function which parses the CSV
lines into rows. Your import statement would then look like this:

  insert into myTable select * from table( myTableFunction(...) ) s

Note that under the hood, Derby's import procedure does exactly this,
that is, Derby wraps a VTI around the external data and then does a
"insert into ...select" from that VTI. So using a table function should
perform as well as native import does.

If you are interested in this approach, you may want to read the table
function white paper located here:
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/reference/whitepapers/index.jsp The
white paper comes with a zip file of sample code. You should be able to
do what you need by extending FlatFileTableFunction.

Hope this helps,
-Rick