db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Juho Tykkälä <juho.tykk...@phnet.fi>
Subject Merging two Derby databases, update database structure to old one
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:53:17 GMT

I have a Derby database with 10 tables and some data inside them.

Because I'm a software developer and have many customers
with their own databases and their own data inside them. I have also
one empty database for developing purposes on my own.

Can I inherit the changes I made to my own database to my
customers databases without touching data in them?

e.g. If I add two columns (color & weight) to my table (vehicles)
can this change to be inherited to all other databases with the same
table but different data in them?

Why I ask is: If I'm going to add more features to my software,
which uses Derby database, and these features need database
structural changes, how can I update my customer's old software
versions without touching the data inside their databases. Just
need to add few columns more and don't want to clear data inside database.

Juho Tykkälä

View raw message