db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Stanley Styszynski" <diabe...@gmail.com>
Subject How to store values that might be given in different measurement units?
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:58:57 GMT
Hi All,

I would appreciate any thoughts on the following topic:
How to store values that might be given in different measurement units?

For example weight. It can be in pounds or kilograms.

Basically, I am writing an application in which user can enter some values
(weight, height and some medical measurements)
in different units and I want to store this in Derby database. I don't know
if it would be better to store these values in one unit
and convert it if needed or to create separate columns for each possible
unit and retrieve them using special query?
Maybe there is some other way of doing this?

Regards

Stan