db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Iwud H8u <iwud...@hotmail.com>
Subject Enabling encryption using DataSource after creating a database
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:17:58 GMT

Hi All,

I am using EmbeddedDataSource to create a database and in a separate step
enable authentication and encryption on the database. I have enabled
authentication using the following code:

            // set authentication
            CallableStatement callableStatement = connection.prepareCall(""
+
                    "CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY(?, ?)");
//            callableStatement.setString(1,
"derby.database.sqlAuthorization");
            callableStatement.setString(1,
"derby.connection.requireAuthentication");
            callableStatement.setString(2, "true");
            callableStatement.execute();

However, I do not see a similar mechanism to enable encryption. So I tried
the following code:

        // get properties from props file
        String sysDir = props.getProperty("derby.system.home");
        String dbName = props.getProperty("database.name");

        EmbeddedDataSource dataSource = new EmbeddedDataSource();
        dataSource.setUser(userName);
        dataSource.setPassword(password);
        dataSource.setConnectionAttributes("dataEncryption=true");
        dataSource.setConnectionAttributes("bootPassword="+password);

dataSource.setConnectionAttributes("encryptionAlgorithm=AES/CBC/NoPadding");

dataSource.setDatabaseName(sysDir+System.getProperty("file.separator")+dbName);

        connection = dataSource.getConnection();

But this does not seem to enable encryption because when I shut down the
database and try to reconnect to it by passing it the wrong bootpassword/no
bootpassword, it boots up the database. Is there any way of enabling
encryption using EmbeddedDataSource?

Thanks,
Jay