db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Just in memory ?
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:07:11 GMT
Antonio Goncalves <antonio.mailing@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm using the Derby network database to run my application and the Embedded
> mode for testing. Both work fine. But when I use the Embedded mode, Derby
> creates a directory on my hard drive full or files. I would like just to have
> a in-memory database, no I/O, just in-memory. Is it possible with Derby ?

Hi Antonio,

I'm afraid that's not possible with Derby at the moment. This feature
has been requested by others as well. See these issues in the bug

There hasn't been any activity in any of these issues for quite a while,

> I've seen a very old thread (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/
> db-derby-dev/200510.mbox/%3C4364E8D3.9030702@sbcglobal.net%3E) that mentions
> the URL jdbc:derby:memory:myDb but that doesn't work. I've cheked out the
> Derby source code but didn't find anything about that.

I think you need the patch from DERBY-646 to get this to work.

Knut Anders

View raw message