db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Zach <rzp2...@gmail.com>
Subject looking for suggestions- possible extensions to derby
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:46:18 GMT
Hi all,

I'm working on a group project for a Database System Implementation class,
and we've been tasked with selecting an open source DBMS to add some
extensions to. We've decided to go with Apache Derby, but none of us have
used it before, so we were hoping to get some input from the general users
that have some experience with it.

Here are the basic guidelines we have to follow:
-  Describe three advanced database features you plan to add to this open
source software package; the three features must be selected from the
following categories:
      1. Storage management (including data layout, indexing, buffer
management, etc.)
      2. Query management (query analysis, compilation, planning, etc.)
      3. Transaction management (including recovery from failures)

We only have about 6 weeks to work on this project, so we may not have
enough time to do anything extremely complicated, but we were hoping you
guys would be able to give us suggestions on any shortcomings you have
experienced while working with derby, anything you think could be handled
better, or something that does not exist that you'd like to see implemented.
Our goal is to complete all 3 extensions, but we may not be able to
accomplish all of them in the time frame that we have.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give us!

~Zach