db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Lawrenson <andrew.lawren...@coppereye.com>
Subject Derby Encryption AND Replication
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:30:16 GMT
Hi All,

    is it possible to use replication to replicate an encrypted database.  Various things
hint that it isn't supported (such as the StartSlave attribute not specifying that you can
combine it with encryptionKey), but I can't find anything explicitly saying it isn't supported.

    If I boot the slave database without the encryption key, I get an exception with SQLState
XBM06, as expected.  If I pass in the encryption details as well, so my connection attributes
contains the following: "startSlave=true;slaveHost=192.168.0.211;slavePort=6959;encryptionAlgorithm=DES/CBC/NoPadding;encryptionKey=aaaaaaaabbbbbbbb"
then derby hangs indefinately whilst booting:

   java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
   org.apache.derby.impl.db.SlaveDatabase.verifySuccessfulBoot(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.db.SlaveDatabase.boot(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.boot(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.bootModule(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.bootService(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.startProviderService(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.findProviderAndStartService(Unknown
Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.startPersistentService(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.startPersistentService(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.bootDatabase(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.<init>(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection40.<init>(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
   org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
   java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
   java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:185)

Is it possible for anyone to confirm if this should be supported or not?

many thanks,

  Andrew Lawrenson