db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Client/server plus network storage of database files
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:39:37 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Another possible issue with Derby and network file systems, is that
> Derby uses a file locking protocol to prevent double-booting of a
> database. This protocol only works if the two instances that try to boot
> Derby run on the same host. If they run on different hosts and access
> the same database over a network fs, the database is likely going to be
> corrupted.

I have tested this fairly recently, and CIFS (from Windows, to Samba --
not sure about other combinations) appears to work as one would expect
with regard to file locks.

The diagram from my previous email still applies -- clients aren't
connecting to the shared database, they're connecting to the network
server and the network server is connecting across a network.  Why is it
connecting across a network?  Because locally attached disks aren't big
enough.

Daniel