db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Client/server plus network storage of database files
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 02:04:49 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> The problem is that I/O across a network cannot to be guaranteed.  You
> are actually losing data buffered along the network when the network
> fails.  Derby detects this when is boots the next time and finds the
> checksums and timestamps on the files int the database are out of sync.
> Derby database files must reside local to the machine hosting the Derby
> DBMS engine.

So what does Derby define as "across a network"?  FireWire is
technically a network protocol after all.

Does this just mean I/O across TCP/IP?  Or just I/O across SMB?  Or
across NFS and SMB?  Or generally any network protocol which happens to
buffer?  But directly connected disks also buffer, so presumably it
isn't that last option.

Daniel