db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Embedded Derby and .dat files
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:15:24 GMT
Fuzzo wrote:
> Hi all!
> I'm using Derby in embedded mode but i've noticed that the dbname/log
> direcotry contains a lot of 1MB sized log*.dat files.
>
> The disk space is not infinite for me, and when the disk space is full, the
> application crashes.
>
> How i can limit number and/or size of .dat files?

Hello Fuzzo,

Under normal circumstances, the log files will be deleted when Derby
performs a checkpoint. I believe the default checkpoint interval is set
at 10 MB of log.
I have these questions for you:
 a) Have you set any of the checkpoint/log related properties? (Java
system properties or in derby.properties)
 b) Have you enabled the log archive mode? If so, the logs won't ever be
deleted.
 c) Do you have any long-running transaction in your application?
    See the reference manual for how to query the transaction table.
 d) Are you shutting down Derby properly, using the "shutdown=true"
connection attribute? If not, are you experiencing long startup times?

hth,
--
Kristian