db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Client/server plus network storage of database files
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 02:09:56 GMT
Hi all.

I have a question about the case where an embedded Derby database is
being stored on NFS or CIFS or whatever.

Basically what I'm seeing happen is, a network outage occurs at some
point in time.  This causes a fairly normal store error as you would
expect, but then Derby "remembers" that the database is corrupt and
refuses any further operations, even if the network comes back up.

We can attempt to get around this when operating in pure embedded mode
by doing a full shutdown and re-open, and this does work.

But if we're in server mode and the connection from Derby to the storage
goes down, i.e.:

    Derby Client ------> Derby Server ---X--> Database on NAS

Is there some way to handle this situation gracefully?  It appears that
network server doesn't attempt a shutdown / connect when this occurs, it
simply keeps the store open and in unusable state.

Or is a better solution to make the store layer more aware that these
problems can be temporary?

Daniel