db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Wareham" <cware...@visitlondon.com>
Subject Re: Derby init script for Linux / Unix
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 15:15:41 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I don't know whether you have seen the startNetworkServer script which
> is supplied in the bin directory of Derby distributions. It may do a lot
> of your work for you. For more information on starting up the network
> server, please see the section titled "Starting the Network Server" in
> the Derby Server and Administration Guide:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/adminguide/
>
> Hope this helps,
> -Rick

Hi Rick,

Apart from sourcing derby_common.sh, the startNetworkServer script does
the same as my start script, so the problem I describe would also affect
someone logging in remotely to start Derby with that script.

Regards,

Chris

PS - Apologies for the ridiculously long signature on my emails, it's
      added automatically by my company mail server.

> Chris Wareham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've searched the FAQ, wiki and Nabble's archive for this list but not
>> found an example init script for running Derby's Network Server. I have
>> put together a basic init script, but it has one problem which I am
>> hoping someone on the list can solve for me. The script works fine when
>> the server is rebooted, but if I login via ssh and restart Derby with
>> the init script, my shell hangs when I logout. I guess that even though
>> I run the init script as root, the Derby process is somehow associated
>> with my login session and prevents me from successfully logging out. I
>> don't want to use nohup, as it leaves an annoying log file laying around
>> - there must be a better solution!
>>
>> My init script is as follows:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> # Starts and stops the derby database
>>
>> DERBY_HOME=/home/derby
>> DERBY_USER=derby
>>
>> derby_start () {
>>     su -l $DERBY_USER -c "$DERBY_HOME/bin/start_derby >
>> $DERBY_HOME/logs/derby.log &"
>> }
>>
>> derby_stop () {
>>     su -l $DERBY_USER -c "$DERBY_HOME/bin/stop_derby >
>> $DERBY_HOME/logs/derby.log &"
>> }
>>
>> case "$1" in
>>   start)
>>     derby_start
>>     ;;
>>   stop)
>>     derby_stop
>>     ;;
>>   restart)
>>     derby_stop
>>     sleep 5
>>     derby_start
>>     ;;
>>   *)
>>     echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/derby {start|stop|restart}"
>>     exit 1
>>     ;;
>> esac
>>
>> exit 0
>>
>> The start script is as follows:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> start_command="exec $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $DERBY_OPTS -classpath
>> $DERBY_CLASSPATH org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start $@"
>> eval $start_command
>>
>> And the stop script is as follows:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> stop_command="exec $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $DERBY_OPTS -classpath
>> $DERBY_CLASSPATH org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl shutdown $@"
>> eval $stop_command
>>
>> The following relevant entries are in the derby user's shell config:
>>
>> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/default
>> PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
>> export JAVA_HOME PATH
>>
>> DERBY_HOME=$HOME
>> DERBY_CLASSPATH="$HOME/lib/derbynet.jar:$HOME/lib/derby.jar"
>> DERBY_OPTS="-Dderby.system.home=$HOME/derby"
>> export DERBY_HOME DERBY_CLASSPATH DERBY_OPTS

Chris Wareham
Senior Software Engineer
Visit London Ltd
6th floor,
2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR

Tel:  +44 (0)20 7234 5848
Fax: +44 (0)20 7234 5753

www.visitlondon.com

       Save the date for the Visit London Awards 2008!
      Thursday 27th November, Royal Albert Hall.

'Visit London Limited' is registered in England under No.761149;
Registered Office: Visit London, 2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR.

Visit London is the official visitor organisation for London. Visit London is partly funded
by Partnership, the Mayor's London Development Agency and London Councils.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for the named recipient(s)
only.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete
the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute
this email. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not of Visit
London. We reserve the right to read and monitor any email or attachment entering or leaving
our systems without prior notice.