db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: how to insert table's and column's comment/remark using sql script
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:41:15 GMT
Hi John,

Derby does not provide a COMMENT command. Off the top of my head, this
seems like a fairly easy feature to add to Derby.

Alternatively, you could write an ADD_COMMENT procedure which stores
descriptive text in tables supplied by your application. However,
because you can't declare foreign keys which reference system tables
(the tables in Derby's SYS schema), you would have to manually clean up
your commentary tables when you drop schema objects. The Derby system
tables are documented in the Reference Guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/ref/

Hope this helps,
-Rick