db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: derby over internet
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 02:42:11 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Valentin Cozma" <vcozma@elfyard.com>
To: "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:04 AM
Subject: derby over internet

> Hi,
>
> I am using derby over the internet.
>
> In some cases the application starts (connects to the database) very slow.
>
> I think it's because of the latency ( mobile networks ).
>
> After the application starts, the performance is reasonable.
>
> My application uses prepared statements, there are quite a lot of them. I
> think it's because of the prepared statements creation that takes so
> loong.
>
> 1. Can you give some suggestions for my situation ?
> 2. Are there some "rules"/good practices for working with derby over the
> internet ?
>
> Thank you so much !

Valentin, you need to explain a little more about your setup, people then
may figure out why its slow...
Normally the culprit is when dB's connect... ie when the software opens a
connection to the dB, that is a slow process and thats normally why dB pools
are used.

Good luck...
The only real POJO Application Server.