db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Maximum amount of data suitable for Derby
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:27:47 GMT
Hi Dmitri,

If you are bulk-loading this data, then the following may help

1) You can use JDBC statement batching. Please see the javadoc for
Statement.addBatch(), PreparedStatement.addBatch() and
Statement.executeBatch() as well as this link:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jdbc/spec2/jdbc2.1.frame6.html

2) You can also use table functions to bulk import data from an external
data source. Please see the section titled "Programming Derby-style
table functions" in the Derby Developer's Guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/devguide/ Examples of how to code
and use table functions can be found in the 10.4 source code under
java/demo/vtis. If you wrap your external data in a table function
called MyExternalData, then you can efficiently bulk import your data
with the following statement:

   insert into myTable select * from table( MyExternalData() ) s

Hope this helps,
-Rick