db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Unable to connect to remote machine
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:12:43 GMT
Bartholomew Job wrote:
> Also could you please let me know wat it means to create the derby.properties
> file in the format created by the java.util.Properties.save method

Create a properties object in a Java application, with some test
properties (e.g props.setProperty("derby.drda.host", "0.0.0.0")). Then
use the save() or store() method to write the properties to a file. Then
take a look at the resulting file to learn the format.
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html

Anyway, using the format
property=value
(one property per line) should work.

> and how
> to make the server to listen ,eliminating the possibility that a
firewall is
> blocking ??

Some other tips that might help debugging:

- are you able to ping the server host from the client host?
- are you sure the Derby server is running?
- are you able to connect to the Derby server from the localhost (server
host)?
- if you are using Derby 10.4, use JMX/JConsole/VisualVM and Derby's
built-in NetworkServerMBean to verify which properties are recognized by
the server. See http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJMXQuickStart

--
John