db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: When and why use DB2UDB jdbc driver instead of the Derby ClientDriver to access a DERBY NETWORK SERVER?
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:54:39 GMT
Kim Haase wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Alan Burlison wrote:
>>>
>>> Related question:  If you want to connect to a Derby instance using
>>> something other than Java (C, Python Perl etc), what's the
>>> recommended mechanism?  Google suggests the DB2 driver, but most of
>>> the articles and howto's are several years old, and date back to the
>>> Cloudscape days.
>>>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> IBM no longer provides support for the DB2 driver with Derby  and is
>> not testing it with new releases. It would be great to see an open
>> source initiative for an ODBC driver for Derby.  Although this is
>> often requested, I don't think we have a Jira entry for it yet.
>> Perhaps you could open one.
>
> There are a couple of topics on the DB2 driver in the Derby
> Administration Guide. Should these be removed, do you think? If so, I
> could file a JIRA issue for this. Possibly we should just add a note
> about the lack of support?
>
> Thanks,
> Kim Haase
If the driver is no longer supported and isn't being tested against new
Derby releases, then it makes sense to me to remove references from the
Derby user manuals. Maybe the information could migrate to the wiki
along with a note stating that the DB2 driver is not supported or tested
anymore.

Regards,
-Rick