db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Benoît Chaluleau <benoit.chalul...@artal.fr>
Subject RE : Maximum amount of data suitable for Derby
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:35:50 GMT
Voilà un défi ! Etre les premiers à avoir planté Derby par volumétrie, sans
que ce soit par cause de place disque ou d'environnement...

Chui sur que c'est jouable.

Chui pas sur qu'Airbus finance l'étude par contre...

-----Message d'origine-----
De : John.Embretsen@Sun.COM [mailto:John.Embretsen@Sun.COM]
Envoyé : vendredi 29 août 2008 11:07
À : Derby Discussion
Objet : Re: Maximum amount of data suitable for Derby

Dmitri Pissarenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have an application, which has to store following amounts of data:
>
> 1) There are approx. 20 MB of data per day.
> 2) The database should be able to store data of, at least, one week,
> i. e. 7 * 20 = 140 MB, at most - data of a quarter, i. e. 30 * 20 * 3
> = 1800 MB.
>
> The data is imported into Derby and then displayed in form of reports
> (based on Crystal Reports).
>
> 1) I would like to know whether Derby is suitable for such amounts of
data?

Yes, Derby is most likely suitable.
Members of the Derby community are running weekly large data volume test
on Derby, see http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/

The size of the database directory in the latest test (2008-08-21) was
361 GB (with more than 637 million rows in one of the tables).

> 2) What is the "threshold", maximum amount of data Derby was designed
> to cope with?

There is no specific limit within Derby with regards to the amount of
data it can store. So far I have not heard of anyone reaching such a
limit when using Derby, apart from running out of disk space or other
environmental issues not related to Derby itself.

--
John

.