db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jim McNamara <thirdshiftco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: connection url not working
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:30:08 GMT
hi bryan-excellent. thank you. i will look into it tonight when i get home from work.i'm sure
this solution/procedure you suggested will work.i now have a better understanding and will
continue toread docs.thanks very much,jim
--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
From: Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com>
Subject: Re: connection url not working
To: "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 10:23 AM

> Jim McNamara wrote:
 >> but what i dont understand is if i send go/to/the/moon path and db
 >> to trash in konqueror file manager, that squirrel sql still
 >> connects as if it was there

I believe that the Unix/Linux systems behave differently with
respect to deleting files than Windows does. In Linux, you can
delete a file (move it to the trash in Konqueror), but if a
process currently has that file open, that process will continue
to be allowed to access the file.

So I think what you are seeing is that the Derby network server
was not shut down when you moved the db to the trash, and the
server still had the files open.

So if you:
  - shut down the Derby network server process
  - move the database to the trash
  - start the network server back up
then I would be quite surprised to learn that you are still able
to access the database.

thanks,

bryan