db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: When and why use DB2UDB jdbc driver instead of the Derby ClientDriver to access a DERBY NETWORK SERVER?
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:35:42 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:

> With release 10.0 of Derby there was no open source client driver so the
> DB2 driver was required to use Network Server.  With Derby 10.1 the
> Derby Client driver was introduced and the recommendation made everyone
> use that client driver.  This remains true today.

Related question:  If you want to connect to a Derby instance using
something other than Java (C, Python Perl etc), what's the recommended
mechanism?  Google suggests the DB2 driver, but most of the articles and
howto's are several years old, and date back to the Cloudscape days.

I've been using Derby very happily for the development stage of my
project, but I'm probably going to have to switch to MySQL unless I can
get decent connectivity to Derby from other languages, in particular
from scripting languages.

--
Alan Burlison