db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: connection url not working
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:35:03 GMT
Jim McNamara wrote:
> Hi Byran-
> i think i am starting to piece this together a little bit.derby has a system directory
specified by derby.system.homeas i put a connection url jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/go/to/the/moon;create=true;it
creates that path in my system directory and moon will be the dbcontaining seg0,tmp,log,service.propertiesso
that is where my storage mysteriously is kept.but what i dont understand is if i send go/to/the/moon
path and dbto trash in konqueror file manager, that squirrel sql still connects as if it was
there residing in system directory.so is there another place it resides? why when you send
stuff to the trashcan you still connect and even see tables and run sql?it is crazy.thanks,jim---
On Sun, 7/13/08, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:

Right, if you move the data in your file system, you should not be able
to connect to the database using the same connection URL and the same
derby system home.

I suspect that you have several copies of the database around. Try
searching for directories named "moon" (or whatever the name of your
database is) to check for sure.

Note that in your original URL,

jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/home/thirdshift/JADE_DB

the path to the database may not resolve to what you think it resolves
to. The URL looks absolute, but it is not. For it to be absolute, you
need another / between the port number and the path:

jdbc:derby://localhost:1527//home/thirdshift/JADE_DB

This is because the first / separates the port number from the database
path, and the second / denotes an absolute path on Unix/Linux systems.
The above URL will resolve to the directory /home/thirdshift/JADE_DB.

If your connection URL path is not absolute, it will resolve as relative
to the system home directory, for example

/home/youruser/databases/home/thirdshift/JADE_DB

Hope this helps,

--
John