db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.lang.NullPointerException' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:32:45 GMT
vibhuti wrote:

> Hi
>

> Following exception occurs while running our application with embedded
> derby database. The application uses multithreading. This exception
> occurs while insert query is executed. The insert query is run using JDBC:
>

> insert into sign (sign, month, day, offset, digest) values (?,?,?,?,?).
>

> The table for which insert query is fired is:
>

> create table sign(ID  INTEGER NOT NULL GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY
> PRIMARY KEY, sign varchar(32), month char(6) not null, day char(2) not
> null, offset bigint not null, digest varchar(32) for bit data not null)
>

> There are multiple threads inserting data in database. I tried to search
> a lot on net but could not find any solution. We’re using derby
> 10.3.1.4. Not sure about the root cause. It will be great if anybody
> provides some solution because it is creating lot of problems in our
> application.

Hello,

If this bug is reproducible, are you able to replace the jar files with
the debug version?

You can download them from
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.3.3.0.cgi
You could also try the 10.4 version, but that would require a database
update or starting with a fresh database.

The debug version will give us line number information, but you might
also see an assertion error instead of the NPE. This can give us a
better idea of what has gone wrong.

As always, providing a runnable repro is the best way to get someone to
fix the bug :)

For reference, this bug has been logged as DERBY-3746:

thanks,
--
Kristian

[ snip - NPE stack trace ]