Hello again Derby,

I hope i dont spam too much today, lol ..

Anyway .. imagine this case (another experience of this newb today) :

Im going to use a 3rd party library that doesnt use datasource, but a properties file.
And a simple properties file is going to contain entries about the driver, the jdbc url, and of course the username and password pair.

So, if i'm going to use a ClientDriver approach of Derby, i'll have to fill in the properties file, and ..
I leave the username and password field blank .. They become something like this :
db1.url=jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/test
db1.driver=org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver
db1.username=
db1.password=

And then i do a little testing, and i received this error :
Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: User id length (0) is outside the range of 1 to 255.
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
    at sofco.Test.testInsert(Test.java:19)
    at sofco.Test.main(Test.java:14)
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: User id length (0) is outside the range of 1 to 255.
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.checkUserLength(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.checkUser(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.checkUserPassword(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.flowConnect(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.ClientJDBCObjectFactoryImpl.newNetConnection(Unknown Source)
    ... 5 more

Later when i checked ... i found out that the 3rd party tool (which is opensource, good lord) uses the ubiquitous approach of fetching simple connection :
DriverManager.getConnection(jdbcURL, user, password);

I know if i were to use DriverManager.getConnection(jdbcURL); things are going to be fine.

So if i couldnt changing the source, perhaps because of the license i'm not familiar about (i hate reading license), i have to supply a legitimate user and password ..

So i tried entering A for the username, and A for the password .. and an error popped out :
Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: Schema 'A' does not exist
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
    at sofco.Test.testInsert(Test.java:22)
    at sofco.Test.main(Test.java:14)
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: Schema 'A' does not exist
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.completeSqlca(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.parsePrepareError(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.parsePRPSQLSTTreply(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.StatementReply.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatement.readPrepareDescribeOutput_(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.flowExecute(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.executeQueryX(Unknown Source)
    ... 3 more

I was stunned by the error message "Schema 'A' does not exist", because i dont intend to play with schema.
And then i test supplying "app" for the username, and any char or string for the password, as long it's not empty,
and things went smoothly.

Please help me by pointing which documentation should i read concerning the user and password ..  =)

--
Do not pursue the past. Do not lose yourself in the future.
The past no longer is. The future has not yet come.