db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Portability issue for 'Like-clause' on non-string types ?
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:18:59 GMT
Albert Kam <moonblade.wolf@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello again Apache Derby,
>
> I'm currently porting my little webapp from using mysql to apache derby.
> One of the issue i'm having right now is the like clause being used for
> non-string types.

I have not checked the exact chapter and verse of the SQL standard, but
I'm pretty sure that LIKE for non-string data is a non-standard
extension. As described in the charter, Derby aims to be standard
compliant. MySQL on the other hand states fairly openly that they will
deviate from the standard when they think that is convenient. So
basically, porting from MySQL is going to require some effort, I'm
afraid.

> Anyway, is there a configuration that can be use to be 'friendly' for using
> like-clause on non-string types ? Or perhaps anything else that i'm missing
> out from the docs ? :)

Not 100% sure, but I don't think so.

--
dt