db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: case-insensitive searching
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:11:32 GMT
Geoff hendrey <geoff_hendrey@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I was wondering what is being done for case-insensitive
> comparisons. Also wanted to propose an implementation option, which
> would be to allow indexes to be created on UPPER or LOWER. As long as
> I had an index on UPPER or LOWER, I could do this efficiently:
>
> WHERE UPPER(T1.lastname) = UPPER(T2.lastname)
>
> Is that a totally crazy suggestion, to allow indexes to be created on
> UPPER and LOWER? Maybe this is easy to implement.

Hi Geoff,

It's not a crazy suggestion at all. We already have some similar feature
requests in the bug tracker. I think DERBY-455 is more or less the same
idea, but you may also take a look at some other JIRAs:

DERBY-481 (implement SQL generated columns) has had some activity
recently, but I don't know if anyone is planning to implement it.

--
Knut Anders