db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Thread Interruption in large Database
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:45:06 GMT
PhilCope <phil1.cope@ge.com> writes:

> I have a large cloudscape 5 database (over 5million records) and I have found
> that when a ResultsSet includes all or many of these records, the initial
> call to ResultsSet.next() takes a very long (but finite) time (I would
> estimate about 10-15mins) . I can (indeed have) arrange the code so that
> this call occurs in a separate java thread which can be interrupted from the
> UI thread. BUT, as you may know, java threads that are set to as interrupted
> continue to execute until either application code or some "system" calls
> actually check the interrupted state of the running thread.
>
> So, given this background info, my questions on Derby are
>
> 1. Have any significant performance improvements been made such that, for
> databases of this size, migrating from cloudscape to Derby would provide a
> significantly better response time ?

There have been many performance improvements in Derby over the last
years, but it is hard to say if they help you without knowing more
details. The best way to find it out is to download Derby and test it.

> 2. If not, are there any improvements to the responsiveness of the
> timeconsuming call to .next() to the setting of the interrupted flag on the

Statement.setQueryTimeout() has been implemented and can be used to
prevent queries from taking too long.

--
Knut Anders