db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How to return an array of String in a Java routine?
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:51:30 GMT
Hello,

As you note, Derby does not support Array types. If you need to return a
collection from a SQL routine, the following may help:

1) Transform the collection into a ResultSet. As Knut points out, you
have two options here:

  a) Write a table function.
  b) Write a ResultSet-returning procedure

2) Alternatively, you can serialize your String[] into a byte array.
This solution will work any time you need to use SQL routines to pass
arbitrary objects. The return type of your function would be VARCHAR FOR
BIT DATA or LONG VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA. That is, you would declare your
function like this:

  create function MyFunction( ... )
  returns varchar( 32672) for bit data ...

Hope this helps,
-Rick