db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "vodarus vodarus" <voda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Speed of using Derby DB
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:19:15 GMT

> For derby the default is autocommit=true, which means it will do a
> synchronous log commit write for every statement.  My reading of the app and
> the
> call to commit at the end seems to indicate you want to only commit
> at the end.  Depending on the data distribution (ie. how many times you
> call executeUpdate this may be a big issue.  When you run the test do
> you see a lot of idle time or is 1 cpu at 100% for 12-14 secs? The
> suggestion for using aggregates seems like a better way to do the app.
>
> What kind of page cache does oracle have when you compare?  Are you
> interested in performance of a query when no page is in cache or when
> all pages are in cache?  This size table is bigger than the default
> derby page cache (1000 pages) so it basically is going to be an I/O test of
> how fast
> stuff can be read from disk each time.  If you want to try a cached
> test try setting derby page cache bigger - probably 10,000 pages will
> fit that table (probably less - didn't do exact math).
>
> Hello.

You can see example code now. *conn.setAutoCommit(false);* putted there.

derby.properties:
derby.storage.pageCacheSize=100000
derby.storage.pageSize=32000
#derby.language.logStatementText=true

app run with:
java -Xms100m -Xmx1000m -cp dist/derbytest.jar derbytest.FatTest
So memory is enough for app.

Soft- & Hard-ware:

Code2Duo 2Gz, 2Gb RAM, MS Win XP SP2.
java version "1.5.0_15"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_15-b04)

derby version - 10.3.2.1

Oracle XE with default configuration.