db-derby-user mailing list archives

From PhilCope <phil1.c...@ge.com>
Subject Thread Interruption in large Database
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:58:44 GMT

I have a large cloudscape 5 database (over 5million records) and I have found
that when a ResultsSet includes all or many of these records, the initial
call to ResultsSet.next() takes a very long (but finite) time (I would
estimate about 10-15mins) . I can (indeed have) arrange the code so that
this call occurs in a separate java thread which can be interrupted from the
UI thread. BUT, as you may know, java threads that are set to as interrupted
continue to execute until either application code or some "system" calls
actually check the interrupted state of the running thread.

So, given this background info, my questions on Derby are

1. Have any significant performance improvements been made such that, for
databases of this size, migrating from cloudscape to Derby would provide a
significantly better response time ?

2. If not, are there any improvements to the responsiveness of the
timeconsuming call to .next() to the setting of the interrupted flag on the

Thanks

Phil Cope