On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Robert J. Carr <rjcarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. When I unload and then reload the app, the new instance of the app can't
> start the database. I have to stop and then start Tomcat.

My application runs in tomcat and I can deploy and undeploy my app and
the database is fine and I'm able to reconnect.  Are you unloading the
database when you undeploy?

Hmmm. Perhaps not. What exactly do you mean by "unloading the database"?

> 2. When I try to run a second app that uses Tomcat, it can't start the
> database.

If you are using embedded derby, as far as I know, you can only have
one active connection to it at a time.

You might be able to get around this using JNDI data sources, which I
think ties the connection to tomcat and not to your application.  I
haven't confirmed this, but it is worth a shot if you're not already
doing it (and a better practice as well).

My apologies for being unclear. I'm not trying to open a connection to the same database, I'm trying to open a connection to a different database. I suspect this is some kind of class loader issue.

Thank you,

Donald