Thanks for your response. Do you know if extending FlatFileVTI will work as fast as the built-in IMPORT_TABLE function? Before using CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE, I had written my own class that would read a delimited file and use the INSERT INTO statement to populate my Derby db. However, it took my class 1 hour to import a file but it only took one minute when I used SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE. Will extending FlatFileVTI work a quickly as using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE?

Thanks

Rick Hillegas wrote:
Hi Patrick,

You can write a table function to help you out here. Your table function will open your file, throw away the header, and then loop through the lines in the file. I would recommend extending something like FlatFileVTI (in Derby's demo directory). You can look at PropertyFileVTI (in the same directory subtree), which will show you how to extend FlatFileVTI. Once you declare your table function (let's call it MyFileReader), you can then use it to populate your table as follows:

insert into STAFF
select * from table( MyFileReader( 'myfile.del' ) ) s

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Patrick Meyer wrote:
I have a comma delimited file that contains a header in the first row of the file. The header contains column names. If I manually create a new file without the header, I can successfully import the new file with

CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE(null,'STAFF','myfile.del',null,null,null,0);

Creating the new file in my Java application is too time consuming for it to be a good solution. Is there a way of importing a delimited file with a header in the first row? Or, a way to import and ignore the first row of the file being imported?

Thanks