db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Robert J. Carr" <rjc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby in Tomcat webapps
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 16:11:27 GMT
> 1. When I unload and then reload the app, the new instance of the app can't
> start the database. I have to stop and then start Tomcat.

My application runs in tomcat and I can deploy and undeploy my app and
the database is fine and I'm able to reconnect.  Are you unloading the
database when you undeploy?

> 2. When I try to run a second app that uses Tomcat, it can't start the
> database.

If you are using embedded derby, as far as I know, you can only have
one active connection to it at a time.

You might be able to get around this using JNDI data sources, which I
think ties the connection to tomcat and not to your application.  I
haven't confirmed this, but it is worth a shot if you're not already
doing it (and a better practice as well).

Good luck!