db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "adam jvok" <ajv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cannot get derby.language.logQueryPlan to work
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 12:36:08 GMT
Thanks to John for his reply.

I seem to have found the source of my problem, but it seems to point
to another issue.

Previously I had been working in a single terminal window and only
checking the derby.log after running the query in ij.
By keeping an eye on the derby.log (in another terminal) while I'm
using ij, I see what's going on: The derby.log is being written to as
expected, but when I terminate ij, the derby.log is emptied (zero
bytes).
I have tried terminating ij with 'quit;', 'exit;', 'disconnect;
quit;', 'disconnect; exit;', all with the same result (empty log
file).
However, if I terminate ij with ctrl-C or ctrl-D, the log file remains intact.

Why is this?

Also worth noting:
- delete derby.log
- start network server;
- check log: 502 bytes.
- run query (in ij);
- check log: 1303 bytes, content as expected.
- quit ij
- check log: 0 bytes
- run query (in ij);
- check log: 2104 bytes, first 1303 bytes are null, rest as expected. Odd.

The upshot is, I can now read what I want from the derby.log but am
confused by what terminating ij does to the log. Any thoughts?