db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Six Fried Rice <tech...@sixfriedrice.com>
Subject Re: top N reporting with derby
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 03:41:34 GMT
On May 14, 2008, at 8:09 PM, Daniel Noll wrote:

> This is quite interesting.  Is there also a way to do this if you
> need to join
> to another table, such that it selects rows 100 to 200 of the first
> table
> before doing the join to the second?

Sorry for the confusion. My post was completely bogus. That's what I
get for going from memory. Matt is completely correct: it seems you
need a sub select to get a row number in a where clause, and you can't
use order by in a sub select. Bummer really. I'm not sure *why* my
query doesn't work, but it doesn't. I should say, though, that I'm a
total derby newbie so it probably makes great sense.

Geoff