db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Kamdar, Devang \(MLITS\)" <Devang_Kam...@ml.com>
Subject RE: Cannot Use DROP in ALTER Table in NetBeans 6.0.1 (Derby Integrated)
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 13:38:04 GMT
Thanks Rick and John.
The info you provided was helpful.

I checked with Rick's method and its running version 10.2.1.7
I will download the latest and point Net Beans to it.

Thanks for all the help.
Dev.

-----Original Message-----
From: John.Embretsen@Sun.COM [mailto:John.Embretsen@Sun.COM]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 7:00 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Cannot Use DROP in ALTER Table in NetBeans 6.0.1 (Derby
Integrated)

Some additional info regarding versions and Netbeans:

- The fact that NetBeans has been *tested with* a particular version of
Derby (or Java DB) does not mean that NetBeans *bundles* that version.

- NetBeans (6.0) itself does not bundle Java DB or Derby. However,
Glassfish and JDK 6 bundles Java DB, so your copy of the database
software may stem from either of these sources (which may come bundled
with NetBeans...).

- In addition to the method described by Rick, additional ways of
finding out which version of Derby or Java DB you are running may be
found here: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/VersionInfo. The "driver and
server version (CLASSPATH)" section should be particularly suitable for
NetBeans users.

- If you need to upgrade your Derby / Java DB libraries, this can be
easily done in NetBeans context. You just have to point NetBeans to your
Derby / Java DB installation (unless you replace the installation
already installed). See http://www.netbeans.org/kb/60/ide/java-db.html
for some details.

Hope this helps,

--
John

Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Dev,
>
> Your question seems to center on Netbeans configuration. You may get
> better, faster answers if you pose these configuration questions to
the
> Netbeans lists. However, here is a crude way to figure out what
version
> of Derby you are using:
>
> Inside Netbeans, click through these menus:
>
>   Tools -> Java DB Database -> Settings
>
> This will pop up a window which describes your Derby configuration. In

> particular, the "Java DB Installation" line will tell you where
Netbeans
> is looking for Derby software. Let's say that line tells you that
Derby
> is located at "/foo/bar/wibble". In a shell window, type the following

> command:
>
> java -jar /foo/bar/wibble/lib/derbyrun.jar sysinfo
>
> This will print out information on the version of Derby which lives in

> that installation.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -Rick
>
> Devang kamdar wrote:
>> Thanks for the response Rick.
>>
>> I am not able to verify from the IDE.
>> However, I checked the release notes online for NetBeans and it says,

>> under tested drivers
>> *Tested Drivers*
>>
>> NetBeans IDE 6.0 has been tested with the following databases and
>> drivers.
>>
>> Driver
>>
>> Version
>>
>> Example URL
>> JavaDB     Derby 10.3.1.4 <http://10.3.1.4>
>> |jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/sample| (Network)
>> Oracle     Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.3 <http://10.2.0.3>)

>> |jdbc:oracle:thin:@//localhost:1521:ora9i|
>> PostgreSQL     8.2 Build 506
>> |jdbc:postgresql://jbrave-pc1.sfbay.sun.com:5432/postgres
>> <http://jbrave-pc1.sfbay.sun.com:5432/postgres>|
>> MySQL     MySQL Connector/J 5.0.7
>>
>> Here is the link to NB Release notes:
>> http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/60/relnotes.html#sql-db
>>
>> Does this mean, its running 10.3.1.4 <http://10.3.1.4> version of
>> Derby(Java DB)?
>>
>> If I am not interpreting it correctly, is there a concrete way of
>> checking, which version of Derby am I running?
>>
>> Also, if I am running an older version that is not supporting the
DROP
>> command, is there a way, I can integrate the newer version of JAVA-DB

>> in NB?
>> Cos NB is giving me a very easy and nice interface to work with Java
>> DB and makes creating and populating tables much faster.
>> OR
>> as an alternative, are there any GUIs available to work with bare
>> JAVA-DB database like toad?
>>
>> Please let me know your suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dev.
>>
>> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Rick Hillegas
>> <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com <mailto:Richard.Hillegas@sun.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Dev,
>>
>>     Do you know what version of Derby you are using with Netbeans?
>>     Column dropping and renaming were added to Derby in release
>>     10.3.1.4 <http://10.3.1.4>.
>>
>>     Hope this helps,
>>     -Rick
>>

>>     Devang kamdar wrote:
>>
>>         Hi,
>>
>>         I am trying to get started with Derby and Netbeans
>>         I am not able to use the DROP command.
>>
>>         Getting following error in NetBeans (Derby Integrated)
>>         Error code -1, SQL state 42X01: Syntax error: Encountered
>>         "DROP" at line 2, column 1.
>>         Line 1, column 1
>>
>>         Here is the SQL statement:
>>         ALTER TABLE TRAN
>>         DROP COLUMN TRAN_DESC
>>
>>         Also, is there a way to rename a column?
>>         Right now I am trying to DROP it and ADD it again.
>>         I am just creating the DB, so there is no data at present and
>>         this seems reasonable work-around.
>>         But what if my DB is populated? If I Drop the column, I will
>>         loose all the data?
>>         Is there a viable alternative?
>>
>>         Please let me know.
>>
>>         Thanks
>>         Dev.

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or proprietary, and if
you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, do not use or share it and delete
it. Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation
of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation
of any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable law,
Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may
be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This message is subject
to terms available at the following link: http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging
with Merrill Lynch you consent to the foregoing.