db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How to return an array of String in a Java routine?
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 12:29:30 GMT
sin(EaTing), wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to return an array of Strings from a Java routine. How could I
> create the procedure declaration and definition.

Hi,

Derby doesn't support returning arrays from functions or stored
procedures, I'm afraid.

> Or if possible could I create my own ResultSet in my Java routine, and
> manually insert rows into that ResultSet?

Yes, that's possible. You can find an example on the wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySQLroutines) that shows how to
create a Java routine which returns a ResultSet. In the routine, you can
return your array of strings as a ResultSet by executing a VALUES
statement. To return the array {"one","two","three"}, you would execute
VALUES 'one', 'two', 'three'.

If more flexibility is needed, you can take a look at the table
functions that were added in Derby 10.4. They allow you to use your own
implementation of the java.sql.ResultSet interface. More details can be
found here:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/devguide/cdevspecialtabfuncs.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/ref/rrefcreatefunctionstatement.html

--