db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How to store many large files in the database?
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 13:59:19 GMT
Christian Gruber wrote:
> Thanks for all the replys!
>
> I know it is not the best solution to store large files in a database,
> but it was the easiest in an ejb3 environment.
> My knowledge of the maximum file size seems to be a bit outdated. What
> I have found now is a sizelimit for Fat32 of 4 GB, NTFS has no limit.
> I hope no one has used Fat32 on his WindowsXP installation and my
> fears are causeless.
>
> None the less does anybody know of a working example of a table
> function that returns a part of the filesystem as a ResultSet?
>
> Thanks again!
> Christian
Hi Christian,

If what you need is an example of a table function which wraps a flat
file, then please look in the demo directory or the Derby source code
for org.apache.derbyDemo.vtis.example.PropertyFileVTI. That's a table
function which presents a property file as a 2 column table. In the same
package, there are some other table functions which wrap log files and
reports.

Hope this helps,
-Rick