db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Can I write a query that joins tables in two databases?
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 14:14:43 GMT
Hi Ian,

Table Functions can be invoked in the FROM list of any query block.
Practically speaking, that means that you can invoke them in the
top-level FROM list and materialize them anywhere that you can include a
subquery. And yes, you can use them in outer joins. Here for instance is
an outer join involving the PropertyFileVTI table function which lives
in java/demo/vtis/java/org/apache/derbyDemo/vtis/example:

select *
from table( propertyFileVTI( 'foo' ) ) foo
left join table( propertyFileVTI( 'bar' ) ) bar
on foo.messageID = bar.messageID
;

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Leslie Software wrote:
> Thanks Rick,
>
> I am glad I described the problem I was trying to solve.  Table Functions look very promising
I will start experimenting with them.  Are there any restrictions on where such a table can
be used?  Specifically, in my application, I want to be able to use an outer join.  That way
I can join the full card table with the users collection table and show them both cards they
do not have and the number of the cards they do have.