db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Cannot get derby.language.logQueryPlan to work
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 09:39:34 GMT
adam jvok wrote:
> I have a similar problem.
> I'm using on linux and, following John's advice, yes, I can
> get the query plan logged if I use the embedded driver. But I don't
> want to use the embedded driver.
> So far I have failed to make this work with the network server.
> My derby.log remains empty running the same query with the network
> server, even with derby.properties containing:
> derby.language.logQueryPlan=true
> and DERBY_OPTS=-Dderby.language.logQueryPlan=true
> Any ideas how to get this to work with the network server?

I just tried with the bin\startNetworkServer.bat script as well, having
derby.language.logQueryPlan=true in derby.properties, and the query plan ended
up in derby.log.

In this experiment, I put derby.properties in C:\tmp\john\db-derby-
and ran the commands

"set DERBY_HOME=c:\tmp\john\db-derby-"

from that directory.
Then I connected to the server via IJ using the client driver:

"java -jar lib\derbyrun.jar ij"

Some questions that may help folks along:

How exactly are you starting the server, and from which directory?

Are you sure that derby.properties is in the server's "system home"?
This is either the network server's working directory, or the directory pointed
to by the system property derby.system.home if set.

If you add the property
to derby.properties, do you see connection logging in the server console after
you restart the server and connect to it via JDBC (e.g. IJ)?
If you do, the problem is property-specific. If you don't, the server does not
seem see your derby.properties file at all.

Did you try the "java <properties> -jar derbyrun.jar server start" approach?
This makes it more likely that the server sees you settings, in case there are
"system home" issues.

View raw message