db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Six Fried Rice <tech...@sixfriedrice.com>
Subject Re: top N reporting with derby
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 16:17:36 GMT
On May 15, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Matt Chambers wrote:

> Just googling around I would say that the LIMIT/OFFSET feature has
> to be the #1 requested Derby feature of all time.

Paging is such a necessary part of web development, and MySQL, despite
its warts, really gets it right. It is a hassle to have to jump
through hoops (subselects, temp tables, inverted sort orders, ...) to
do it. It is a shame because apparently the "standard" has no
provision for this. But when you're putting data on the web, you
simply must page records. And with MySQL it is a snap to augment any
query to add paging, and it is fast.

So I am not surprised this is a major FAQ. I have the same problem
with MSSQL as well. But my vague memory is that I can put ROW_NUMBER
in a FROM clause in Sybase, and then use it in my WHERE, making it
easy there as well.

We're pretty much back to square 1 on paging in Derby because we need
to sort *before* we page (obviously). So now we're trying temporary
tables (nuisance because our system uses configurable queries) and
just spinning through the result set in Java.

Geoff