db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "sin(EaTing)," <uss...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about scalability
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 14:14:03 GMT
Thanks Bryan!

However I guess I have missed to say I have a requirement which needs
frequently search out these records to form something like a visit history
report. These reports is a little bit complex, which may need to group data
by different criteria like the country of these users and usage among
different months or years.

I think obviously just recording all visits in a single table should be the
easiest way to write out the select statement. However the performance may
be low, even if indexes are properly created, and the data set will
accumulate to be very large if I use a single table.

So others showed me some way to just discard these old data or achieve them
to file systems to maintain a small footprint of the active data set. But
the achieved data will be another obstacle to select out data easily.