db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Six Fried Rice <tech...@sixfriedrice.com>
Subject Re: How to store many large files in the database?
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 16:34:03 GMT
On May 22, 2008, at 6:31 PM, Christian Gruber wrote:

> the maximum size of a table is the maximum file size of the
> underlying operating system (e.g.: 2 GB).

I'm curious where the 2GB limit is coming from. Are you certain your
max file size is 2GB in your environment? For reference, here are max
file sizes for common filesystems:

NTFS: 16 terabytes
HFS+ (Mac OS X): 8 exabytes (8 million terabytes)
EXT3: 16GB - 2TB depending on block size

Is the 2GB a Java limitation? Or perhaps related to some filesystem
APIs in use?

Not to say there aren't lots of other possibilities, but I just
thought it might be worth a look.

Geoff