db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Christopher L. Fleck" <clfl...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: threads and derby
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2008 04:24:37 GMT
Hey there,

I'm relatively new to Derby, but I'm very familiar with Relational Database
Management Systems (RDMS) in general.  If Apache created a database engine
that didn't allow for mutli-threaded access to the database, it'd be a
serious black eye for all the developers involved.  You will need to use
transactions to make multiple statements atomic, but for simple select
statements for example, you can rest assured that if one thread begins
modifying a row just before you select, your select will be blocked until
the update is complete.  If you find that that is not the case, I'm sure the
Derby development team would be interested in hearing bout your problem.

Thanks,

CLF

  _____

From: Brandon Dohman [mailto:B-Dohman@gotcg.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:03 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: threads and derby

I've currently created a multithreaded server that is using 1 class to do
all of the database interactions when receiving commands from the client
programs.

My question:  When my server code has multiple threads going, will the
database, or the java code for that matter, wait until the current threads
transactions are done before allowing another thread to take control of the
database?

I have created a simple user login system that allows access to a machine,
and there will be possible multiple logins going on at the same time (very
possible it will never happen at the exact same time) but along with logins,
admin users will be updating information in the database.  And I just want
to make sure I won't crash my database, if I have operations trying to
access things at the same time.

Thanks

Checked by AVG.
9:34 AM