db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Six Fried Rice <tech...@sixfriedrice.com>
Subject Paging Result Sets
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:52:52 GMT
I think this is a FAQ (indeed, it is in the FAQ with a rather terse
answer) but I'm looking for a little more guidance.

I need to be able to "page" the results of queries in Derby. Since
Derby does not have an equivalent of MySQL's LIMIT, MSSql's TOP, or
Oracle's ROW_NUM, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this on the SQL
side. The recommendation is to use JDBC. I found a few mailing list
detail.

I'm assuming the solution is something along these lines:

1: Calculate the starting and ending offset desired.
2: call setMaxRows() on the statement to fetch up to the *ending*
offset.
3: spin through the result set until the *starting* offset is reached.
4: process records until the end of the result set.

Is this the right approach? Are there any best practices to ensure
that step 3 is as fast as possible?

Thanks!

Geoff